Saturday, April 4, 2009

Week 3 - Item 7 Technology

It is interesting how technology is to make our lives easier but it more often seems to take over our lives. When I started teaching I was excited to go home at the end of the day and not have ditto ink on my face. I taught prior to computer use in classrooms. When we started to use computers they were the Apple IIs and I taught BASIC Programming. In a couple of weeks we have a Computer Science Professor coming to instruct our 7th and 8th grade Enrichment students on Alice, a graphics computer program.

What a difference almost 30 years have made. Can you even think what you would do today without e-mail during the school day? I never even learned how to create catalogue cards. What would we do without Destiny? As I think of how things have changed over the last 30 years it is hard to even imagine where we will be in just another few years.

I have been looking into Twitter, Facebook, and registered for Delicious after finding all of these new places to visit. This week I downloaded Office 07 to my home computer so that I will be ready for our switch to it at the start of the next school year. While I am finishing this blog I am listening to political podcasts on my i-Pod. To keep up with a few of my younger friends I learned how to text.

Technology forces us to be life long learners.

No comments:

Post a Comment