Friday, April 24, 2009

Week 6 - Item 15 Library 2.0 and Beyond

I often have debates with myself or others as to the look of the library and the services we need to be providing for students. Currently I am weeding a collection with an average age in the 70's. My expression is we will see if there is something that isn't as old as dirt when looking for information in print. I am also questioning the budgeting for magazines.

This does not mean I am ready to give up the library as it exists currently. No matter what happens in the Web 2.0 World we will still need fiction books for patrons. There is nothing better than curling up with a good book on a rainy day. I computer screen or an e-reader etc. . . can not take that place.

Other forms of information may take other turns. My concern more often is not that students find information but what type of information they find. The teaching of evaluation and searching skills are paramount. Today students just type a sentence into Google, take the first site they find and believe it as gospel. We have a role in the library, computer lab, and in classrooms with laptops.

The format of information may change but the need to help patrons locate and use accurate and valid information is still paramount.

No comments:

Post a Comment