Saturday, April 18, 2009

Week 5 - Item 12 Rollyo

Since the district installed Destiny as our operating system I have used the Home Page as a place to list links for specific searches. Especially in the 7th and 8th grade years we have been working to limit the searches. I know it is hard to believe (lol) but the kids do not know as much about searching as they think they do. They are also clueless as to means to evaluate sources they find on the Internet. It is on the Internet so it is true!

Rollyo is somewhat similar in function with the exception that it does a federated search of all of the sources. There may be times it could be of benefit to arrange a search in this format for students. The only thing I really did not care for was that, while the Sponsor Links were a different color, they were embedded within the search results at various places. Students might not have the sophistication to recognize the difference between results and Sponsor Links.

I can see some possible uses personally or with students. It is an item to keep in mind for possible use.

No comments:

Post a Comment